Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wellington and a new Ride

It is definitely still spring here in New Zealand. It is cold and Wet. As if our spring was not enough, Amie and I have been welcomed by many centimeters, no make that meters of rain. Our garden has flooded. Our house is cold and we have started to rethink our decision....No just kidding, but it is raining a lot. So, to escape we headed to Wellington this weekend.
About 3hrs south, the city sits in the mountains of the southern most part of the North Island. It is the windiest city I have ever been in. It gets 174 days of wind and can experience winds around 30-40mph on an average day and has even had a day in 1960 where winds reached 150mph(rough conversion from KM's).
So as our pics will reflect that we ran into some wind.
We first stopped on our way down and bought a vehicle. It is a Mitsubishi Delica. A 8 passenger van. Diesl, 4wd, Turbo. Pics will be included if I can remember the Flickr password. I do believe Uncle Jimmy will enjoy touring around in this wagon.
We then hit Wellington. As most of you know the lord of the rings films were filmed in New Zealand with many scenes being done in and around Wellington. The maps of Wellington show a Ring to indicate where scenes were filmed. So, we went in search of Frodo.
Our first stop was the highest peak in Wellington, Mt. Victoria Lookout. At this location the scene where Mr. Frodo is first almost caught by those raiders, where he ducks off the trail with those other two hobbits, you know what I mean. Well at least I think that is what we found. Amie is more of a Lord of the rings buff, she disagrees. Regardless, more importantly, in typical Kiwi fashion, the town park which is the highest point in Wellington, is also a Mtn. Bike park. As we roamed for a sign that would signify which scene was shot here we saw Mountain bikers diving down these steep trails. Turns out there are many kilometers of trails, right in the city.
A very cool place. We also had an amazing Italian meal. Great food, with gluten free options. A trio of musicians playing and a wonderful Italian hosts. We stayed in town for cheap. A great get away all in all.
So today I was surprised by a call from the Flanagan family. Great to hear from them. There is rumor that Mr. Umile may be heading to Cincinnati for a visit. Thank you to Phish for that.
Big hello to my aunt Lynnie, our prayers are for you.
OK, we are ready for visitors. Will put up details soon. The calender idea from earlier entries is not working out. SO far the our place is wide open. (Becky, we only have you penciled in until you buy the ticket.)
Hello to all in the clinic I hope Yellow pod is well. I miss my place of work. The nurses here are good to me, but they function on their own most of the time. I have to do a lot of my own work. Amie thinks this is good for me.
Oh and one BIG go Mr. Sophronas........
by all.
Amie and Chris

1 comment:

  1. Hey peeps! =) I am glad to see that you are doing well. Yellow pod is surviving but we miss you terribly. Everyone at FHC says hello!

    ReplyDelete