Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hope Thanksgiving went well...

Amie and I spent our first Thanksgiving together this year, but on two different days. How is that possible you might ask? WELL.... see I believe that the last Thursday of November is Thanksgiving. Therefore Thursday was Thankgiving. Amie, however, believes that since Thanksgiving is an American holiday, it was not Thanksgiving until Friday, Thursday in America. So, depending on who you agree with will determine how our Thanksgiving went.
Thursday was fairly miserable. We both worked, which felt odd. We then drove 4.5 hrs to Raglan. We ate Turkey on tortilla chips on the way for dinner. We arrived at our campsite at 9:45, settled in (had a beer) and proceeded towards sleep. Unfortunately our air mattress, new four weeks ago, had a hole in it. I lost it, Amie kept a cool head, patched it and off to sleep we went at 11pm. Exhausted!
Friday, that was different. We awoke to a beautiful day. I cooked up some eggs and sausage on our camp stove, made some coffee and packed up. We headed down the road about 5km and pulled up to Manu bay. Big swell had come in overnight. 3-6 feet at 14-16 seconds, for you none surfers (BIG) and clean with light onshore winds. So, not perfect, but good. Amie was still in shock from our last couple of times out. This was evident by her expression when looking at the surf. I am quickly learning that she is not one to pushed, so I suggested we take a look up the coast. Whale bay was suppose to be more gentle. The pic in the upper right hand corner was our view of Whale bay, the tiny black dots, those are grown med. Not a smaller or more gentle wave.
I was determined to surf, but I was almost as equally determined to find surf Amie would enjoy, so our hunt continued. The local beach break was beach pound, one look from Amie and I knew this was not an option.
What to do, well Amie took a breath and opted for Manu bay.
I hope the pictures do it some justice. This point break was fantastic. We watched some great surfers blow right by us. Truth is between the two of us we only caught, 4 waves. But they were great. Amie's confidence is way up. She can go out and knows how to avoid all the large waves and then works her way in for the little ones. I have not learned that lesson.
I sat out with the big boys watching them catch wave after wave, until it happened. That magical set that took everyone in. The rides are long, so before they had a change to get back out another set was in. A huge wave was all mine. I turned and paddled, got to my feet, hesitated and BLAME. That was all she wrote. I fell off the biggest wave I have ever paddled for, then it ran me over. That was the bad news. The good news is that same wave cleaned house, everyone that was trying to get back out got stopped in their tracks. So, I quickly made up for my mistake. The next wave was a little smaller and I was in a little better postion. Thats when I caught the wave of our trip so far.
After about 2.5 hrs in the water we packed up the car and headed to Auckland. Pearl Jam concert was next. Many of you may not be fans, but this show was amazing. The band played for 2.5-3hrs. They mixed the songs old to new. They rocked. They played so long that the stadium put the lights on the field, but they kept playing. I feel I have grown up with band and The performance was one of the best I had seen. Amie even liked the show. I could say more about it, but I do not want to bore you.
Ok, so Friday was the better day by far, but I still do not think that was Thanksgiving. I might put a poll up. All you in Favor of Thursday say "I", those for Friday... actually I know everyone will agree with me.
Saturday was a long trip home. But it ended with a nice surprise. I have been emailing with a fellow surfer from Hampton, Ken Linsman. I knew he was going to be in our area, but we thought our paths would not cross. However, on our way home from Auckland we had to check the surf. We pulled into on of the more mellow spots and there was Ken and his son Kyle and his friend Tom. Just getting out of the water. After a few cordial greetings and then I suggested we check out a nicer wave. We headed to Greenmedows. A spot that has not worked well for us, but the wind was in the right direction for a change and the swell that was in Raglan the day before was also in our region.
There are some great pics that Amie took. A good session. Not as powerful as the boys from back home were looking for, but nice. Ken's son Kyle and his friend Tom can really surf. I think the great thing was that it was just us.
Sunday was more of the same. Surf was not as good, but we all had a good time. It was great to have a little crew around. Also, nice to be around folks from home. Made us realize again how much we miss you all.
Ok, that is my take on the weekend. A great time. No matter what day was Thanksgiving it was my best ever because it was my first of many with Amie. (Aaahhh, how sweet)
Hope you like the pics. I think Amie with have you own entry this week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amie,
    How are things? I love reading about your adventures!! Things at Bakie are ok, not the same without you!!
    Corey is doing well in 5th grade and Kyle is doing good in 8th grade also. He should have all As and 1B this report card! Can you believe he will be in HS next year?? I still can't!
    I look forward to reading more from New Zealand!
    Take care, Cindi

    ReplyDelete