Monday, November 16, 2009

A typical week

We are late with our post. Sorry for those of you who hang on our every word. We have been busy.
No big trips. I guess we have settled in here in Hawera. We spent this weekend traveling the coast, surfing in bad conditions and trying out the new Mtn. bike trails.
First, on Thursday we visited a farm about 20min. outside of town. Beautiful land. A friend was showing Amie her horses. This particular friend also trains herding dogs. A great visit, some good pics to come. Amie now has a place to go ride. I will stay away from the horses.
The surf was poor. Funny though, even when poor we find a wave or two. Amie is on a new board and very excited. I saw her smile while surfing for the first time in a long time. It helped that the waves were not double overhead.
I went out and found the Mtn. Bike trails on Saturday. Damn Kiwi's, they do everything big. I took a few quick rides and then found an expert trail called "Jump Line". How bad could it be?
Well it was straight down, through thick brush. Single track the whole way. About 100 meters in, around a slight curve was a jump. A 4foot gap jump, no way to go but straight over it. Not that I had time to turn anyway. In Mid air it occurred to me, "this is the country that invented bungy jumping, I should have expected this." I landed it, but the corner that was at the landing did not go so smooth. Have you ever seen pictures of the rain forest? Thick brush everywhere, wet, lots of bugs. Yeah, that was where I landed. I don't even think I hit the ground. Welcome to New Zealand Mtn biking. Overall, great trails, lots of downhill.

Short blog this week. GOT to go to work. Amie says hello.
Have a great week. More pics later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amie and Chris,
    So fun to read your blog and see such great pictures! Everything is beautiful there! Thinking of you often! Take special care.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete